God wants us to worship Him – but not in the way that any religion portrays this to us. In John chapter 4 we see that the Lord Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman about worshiping God – the place of worship is our spirit(since God is Spirit), and the way to worship is to drink of Him! Our real worship of God is our drinking and our eating of Him! Recently I was reminded of Isaiah 12:3
Therefore you will draw water with rejoicing from the springs of salvation
while listening to message 8 from the Crystallization study of Isaiah(1) – Drawing Water with rejoicing from the springs of salvation. The Triune God has been processed – through incarnation, human living, crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, and outpouring – and consummated to become the life-giving Spirit, into which we were baptized and positioned – so that we may drink Him! We don’t have to regard God just as an object of worship, but even more – see that today He is the living water, even the springs of living waters, ready for us to drink of Him! We have a human spirit as an organ with which to contact, receive, and drink of God the Spirit! One of the most common and important ways to drink of the Lord Jesus as the Spirit, the springs of living water, is to speak to the Lord, speak by the Lord, speak for the Lord, speak in the Lord, and speak with the Lord:
- Practice speaking with the Lord constantly(Num. 20:8; Phil. 4:6-7) – open your heart to Him, give Him your burdens and situations by talking to Him – breathe out your sorrow and breathe in His comfort, by opening your heart to Him;
- Confess your sins(John 4:15-18, 1 John 1:7, 9) – especially when the Lord shines on you, just agree with Him, Lord, yes, I did this, I repent…. – this is one more way to empty your being so that you may receive more of the living water;
- Praise the Lord, rejoicing in Him always(Phil. 4:4; Heb 13:15) – it is the Lord who is the secret of sufficiency, so we just praise Him. Even when we don’t feel like we should praise the Lord, still praise Him – and you will drink!
- Thank the Lord(Eph. 5:18, 20) – in everything give thanks to Him. We don’t thank Him enough. Even when things are not going our way/so well, thank the Lord. This is a good way to drink of Christ as the Spirit…
- Call on the name of the Lord(Acts 2:21, 1 Cor. 12:13) – When we open our mouth and call on the name of the Lord – out loud – we DRINK! We can call on His name quietly, deeply, or aloud – in all kinds of environments and situations, we need to learn to call on His name to drink of the springs of salvation – “Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved“.
- Sing to the Lord(Eph. 5:18-19, 1 Kings 6:7; 1 Chron 6:31-32) – When we are singing to the Lord, we are being filled with the living water, the flowing Triune God as the Spirit! At the same time, the enemy is being cast out and defeated and the Body of Christ is being built up – by our singing to the Lord!
- Preach the gospel(Rom. 1:16; John 4:32-34) – make known to others what Christ has accomplished, what He is to you! Preach the gospel and speak about the Lord Jesus to everyone and everything – even to your pet, the nature, the trees, the wall, the bed, etc – practice speaking the gospel until it becomes normal for you to speak about the Lord! The more you speak about Him, the more you’re filled with Him!
- Function in the meetings of the church(1 Cor. 14:4b, 26) – when we are in the meetings with the saints in the church life, we should not be silent: say AMEN to the Word, praise the Lord, call on His name, share your portion, read something from the Word – with the exercise of your spirit. In this way, you continue to drink of Christ as the Spirit, the springs of salvation!
These are some simple ways for us to drink of Christ as the Spirit – the springs of God’s salvation! There are so many ways to open to the Lord and drink Him! This is to offer God the real worship that He desires!