It is so easy to take for granted what the Bible says, especially the paragraphs / sections that we know and read often. But we daily need to exercise ourselves to empty ourselves from anything old, even any old knowledge, so that we may receive a fresh revelation concerning the wonderful Person of Christ – daily see Him afresh, appreciate Him anew, and enjoy Him constantly! In Matthew 16 we see that the Lord took His disciples apart and away from the holy city(Jerusalem), and then He asked them, Who do men say that I am? Then, He asked them – but YOU, who do you say that I am? Who is Christ to You? What is He to You? What did you see concerning His Person and His Work, so that Your appreciation is increased? Here’s what the Bible says in Matt. 16:16-18,
16. And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17. And Jesus answered and said to him, Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in the heavens.
18. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Here we see that Peter, being enlightened by the Father God, spoke the truth about the Lord Jesus – he unveiled that the Lord is Christ and He is the Son of the living God! Here we see the two main aspects of Christ:
- According to His person, the Lord Jesus is the Son of the living God. The Lord’s person embodies the Father and issues in the Spirit for a full expression of the Triune God. As the Son of the living God, Christ can regenerate His believers that they may become sons of God, filled with the divine life and nature! Who can bring forth the many sons of God? Only the Son of the living God can produce the many sons of God. He not only redeemed us, He also regenerates us with His life to become Sons of God!
- According to His work / commission, the Lord Jesus is the Christ – the One annointed and appointed by God to accomplish His economy. Christ is the particular One, the unique One, who carries out God’s commission. He has been commissioned by God with a great purpose to produce many sons of God to constitute His Body, His expression. To do this, God had to become man in incarnation, He lived a perfect human life, died an all-inclusive and all-terminating death on the cross, resurrected to become the life-giving Spirit, ascended to the heavens to be enthroned, and now He is carrying out His heavenly ministry by interceding for us, ministering to us, shepherding us, and saving us organically. All this is for the fulfillment of God’s economy, His purpose, to have a corporate expression in humanity.
Here is what the footnote says about the two aspects of Christ’s person revealed in Matt. 16:16,
The Christ refers to the One concerning whom God prophesied in the Old Testament through the prophets and whom His saints through the ages looked for (John 1:41, 45; Luke 2:25-26; 3:15), the One who would come to accomplish the will of God (Heb. 10:5-7).
The Christ, referring to the anointed One of God, speaks of the Lord’s commission, whereas the Son of the living God, referring to the Second of the Triune God, speaks of His person. His commission is to accomplish God’s eternal purpose through His crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, and second coming, whereas His person embodies the Father and consummates in the Spirit for a full expression of the Triune God.
When we see Christ in His Person and His work – such a vision will bring us, as the Lord Jesus did, to the church! God wants Christ and the church! When Peter spoke about Christ, the Lord said, Yes, and I am building My church! The church is built upon Christ and the revelation of Christ – not just Christ, but also the revelation concerning Christ. [enjoyment from the Conclusion of the New Testament, message 191, by brother Witness Lee]
Amen, Lord, we want to see You in what You are and what You do! Increase our appreciation of Your Person and Work! Lord, build up Your church! Build us up as Your corporate expression on this earth! You are the One annointed and appointed by God to carry out His commission! Keep us coming to You daily to see You, enjoy You, and be infused with You! We love You, Lord!